Robert J. Frost, M.D.
April 1, 1918 - March 13, 2015
Robert J. Frost, M.D., 96, Michigan City, Indiana passed away Friday, March 13, 2015 at 5:55 p.m. at his home in Michigan City, Indiana.
Private Family Services were held and burial took place in Cedar Grove Cemetery on the campus of the University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana. Ott/Haverstock Funeral Chapel, 418 Washington St., Michigan City, Indiana handled the arrangements.
He was born April 1, 1918 in Hicksville, NY to the late William H. and Genevieve (Regan) Frost. On September 2, 1944 in Notre Dame, Indiana he married Amelia I. Dominick, Michigan City, IN. Also surviving are Daughter, Patricia Mochary of Richmond, VA; Son, Robert J. Frost of Coos Bay, Oregon; 4 Grandchildren; Brother, Richard of Williamsburg, VA. He was preceded in death by Four Sisters; Marion Noerr, Marjorie Nugent, Mary McManus, Jane Frost, Three Brothers; William Frost Jr., Raymond Frost, and Lawrence Frost.
Dr. Frost graduated from the University of Notre Dame with a B.S. degree in 1940 and from Georgetown University School of Medicine in 1943 with a M.D. degree.
He served in the United States Army from July 1945 to September 1947 obtaining the rank of Captain. He served as a Commanding Officer of the Antilles Department of Laboratories San Juan, Puerto Rico from September 1946 to September 1947.
He was certified by the American Board of Pathology in pathologic anatomy in 1949 and in clinical pathology in 1950.
From 1949 to 1952 he practiced in St. Joseph and Niles, Michigan. He came to Michigan City in 1952 as the first resident pathologist in La Porte County. He served as Medical Director of the laboratories of all the hospitals in La Porte County. In 1969, with the late J. William McBride, MD, he incorporated his practice as Pathology Consultants, Inc. He remained a member of the organization until his retirement in November of 1983.
He was a member of numerous pathology and medical associations including the La Porte County Medical Society, Indiana State Medical Society, the American Medical Association, the Indiana Association of Pathologists, which he was President of from 1968-1970. He was an Associate Member of the Michigan Society of Pathologists and the American Association of Blood Banks. He was a Fellow of the American College of Pathologists and the American Society of Clinical Pathologists which he also served as Secretary-Treasurer, Vice-President and President, the latter in 1973-1974. He was a founding member of the American Pathology Foundation for Private Practice and served as its President in 1962. In 1964, he founded the St. Anthony Hospital Certified Laboratory Assistants School, one of the original such schools in the United States. This program eventually became the Lakeshore Medical Laboratory Training Programs, Inc.
After his retirement, the St. Anthony Hospital Laboratory was named in his honor.